The word has gotten out: I am a certified decoupage addict! The nice thing about this being public is people have brought me things out of the goodness of their heart for me to use for decoupage: scrapbook paper, fabric you name it! I always appreciate when someone takes the time to pass something along they can’t use to someone else, as is the case with these really neat bird paper cut outs a friend at work passed along to me.
There were three just like this, and I couldn’t wait to use them. They were very pretty, but very delicate and I was nervous handling them outside their plastic sleeves.
I had some left over tiles from my DIY Kitchen Backsplash, and thought they would make great coasters. I also had some packing foam material, that came with a package that would work great when attached to the bottom of the coasters.
I placed the tiles on the foam and cut the foam to fit the bottom on the tile, I applied Mod Podge to the bottom of the tile and adhered the foam to prevent scraping and skidding while using the coasters. You can also use felt if you have it handy. I applied the Mod Podge to the top of the tile. I used outdoor Mod Podge, so it would be tougher if exposed to moisture from a sweaty drink. This is where things started to go terribly wrong. The cut outs were very delicate and I had to be extra careful when placing on the tile. I tried to apply the Mod Podge carefully with a soft brush. Despite this, the cut out’s ink ran and smudged the entire first tile, which could not be saved. Crafting is like life, it is unpredictable at times and does not always go according to plan.
And then there were two…
Now, I was really nervous! Looking back, It would have been better to use a spray adhesive instead, which Mod Podge makes. I didn’t have this handy, so I tried very gently, and quickly to apply the Mod Podge. Despite a slight change in the color, it didn’t smear this time and neither did tile # 3. Phew!! Once it was dry, I applied another coat, and no smeared color this time! I was so glad these turned out and I was able to salvage this project. I would have been disappointed if I didn’t get to upcycle these tiles!