I spotted this chair in the back of a Goodwill store. There were various miscellanies items piled on top of it, and It involved quite a bit of work to break this chair free. I was attracted to the chair design ( The chair featured a fleur de lys) and I loved the detail. The chair seat was in very rough shape and it would require re-upholstering. The overall chair frame seemed like it was in ok shape, and I thought enough of this chair to assume the risk. The chair was priced to sell at $3.99.
When I got it home, I ripped the blue material off the seat and discovered the seat was broken and could not be repaired. Now, I had to salvage another chair in order to repair this one! My husband and I kept our eyes open for any “curbside” or “free” chairs, I prefered to use a free chair and not purchase one, but months went by until I found a freebie chair that would be perfect, A lucky find at a thrift store. The chair seat would turn out to be a perfect replacement, and I have future plans to upcycle what’s left of the chair frame. Stay tuned!
First, I cleaned the chair, and primed the chair frame with 2 coats of a white latex primer. Once the chair was dry, I began to paint it in a white and black color scheme. I used black and white acrylic paints to paint the entire chair.
This chair was quite a challenge to paint. The chair had a lot of cut-ins, and detail, and required a lot of patience when it came to the paint brush. I sat the chair in front of the fan until it was dry, and then added a layer of Mod Podge overtop to seal the chair. It dried nicely. Now I was ready to re- upholster the chair seat. The original fabric I chose was a black fabric with white roses. When I placed it up against the chair, I despised how it looked! So, It was back to the fabric store to pick out another style and I went with the Elegant look of Damask. I used less than a yard of material and cut and traced it to fit the new seat, leaving extra material for underneath the seat. I used an upholstery stapler and carefully stapled the material to the back of the chair seat. Once I was done I screwed the seat back on to the chair.
This chair was not short in challenges, but in the end it was worth it. Looking at the finished chair, I would say this chair turned out to be worth the risk, and a broken piece received an elegant new lease on life!
Rear View of Black and White Chair
Before and After
Roughed up chair
White Latex Primer
Black and White acrylic paint
Upholstery stapler and staples
Black Marker to trace seat to fabric
11 thoughts on “The Broken Chair Challenge: Upcycled Black and White Damask Chair”
You’re on my blog today, Danielle! 🙂 http://pillowsalamode.wordpress.com/2013/08/12/the-green-crafts-lifestyle-and-their-special-promotion-starting-this-friday-and-a-new-call-for-submissions/
Wow! Thank you! I really can’t thank you enough for all the support you have offered to me and my humble little blog! hugs!
wow!!! Nice!!! i am doing the same thing using crochet 🙂
love the black & white, I have four chairs I’m hoping to redo similar to this very soon, maybe sooner now I’ve seen yours:)