My husband and I have been working on each room in the house, cleaning reorganizing and coming up with new ideas for old items. One of the areas that needed attention was our basement/laundry area. Our basement is damp and unfinished and keeping it clean is quite a challenge. It also serves as our laundry area. We have a table in our basement we used in our kitchen for many years. We now use the table for folding and basement storage. When we moved into our home six years ago, our kitchen was too small for such a large table so it was delegated to the basement.
I am blessed to have a husband that helps with the household chores, especially the chores I hate! One of these chores is doing laundry and he graciously does the family laundry every Sunday evening. He is also a huge Phillies fan through good times and bad. While we were grocery shopping, we came across a Philadelphia Phillies plastic table-cloth in a bargain bin. It was priced right at $1.69.
I thought it would be great to redo the grungy basement table into a Phillies fan table, and a great way to thank the hubby for all of the laundry he does! My only concern was that the table cover was plastic. As stated in previous posts, Mod Podge doesn’t always adhere well to certain plastics. I thought this would be a great experiment as I had never used a plastic table-cloth for decoupage. First, I cleaned and painted the table surface with a white latex primer. This was important because the table cloth was white and the brown surface could potentially bleed through the white table-cloth.
Once the paint was dry, I generously applied Mod Podge to the table surface with a large paintbrush. I carefully layed the table cloth on top of the Mod Podge table surface. This was the most challenging aspect of the project as the table cloth material is thin and prone to wrinkles and air bubbles. The table cover also is spread across a larger surface area. I smoothed out the table cover as best I could and applied Mod Podge over the top of the cover and allowed it to dry. I used scissors to carefully trim away the excess table cover hanging over the edges.
I used two coats of a polyurethane clear coat to seal the table surface, I allowed the first coat to dry for 4 hours and the second was left to dry over night. I applied additional Mod Podge to the edges to prevent any minor curling. This project was certainly not without its challenges, but despite these I think it turned out great. The hubby may have lost his sports room to a playroom, but his laundry room is on its way to becoming a surrogate man cave!