I am always attracted furniture bargains. On this day, as I often do, I took a quick look around the local Goodwill on my lunch break. It just so happened that all red tagged items were 50% off. In the corner, toward the back of the store, I noticed a wooden chair with a ladder back, red sticker taped on the front. It was a little diamond in the rough. I was surprised the original price was only $4.99, and with the discount this chair would only cost $2.50! I had been wanting to try a full-sized chair project for a while, and this chair seemed like the perfect candidate.
It just so happened my sister had noticed some of my furniture projects the last time she was over the house. She asked me to make her something, but was not sure what she wanted. When she saw this chair among the other furniture candidates, she thought perhaps I could design it based on her bedroom which is pink and brown. It was then I came across a pink and brown flowered pillow case while looking through used textile bin and I thought it would be perfect for this project. I texted her a picture of it to see if she liked it, and she did. I then began to plan…
Fast forward to today…I went to JoAnn fabrics and bought some Apple Barrel Acrylic paint. I matched the pink and brown pretty well against the pillow case. The pink appears slightly darker in person than in the photos and matched it nicely. My daughter managed to open one of the bottles of pink paint with the plastic still intact! Thank goodness the store had wipes handy! It was some sort of miracle she only managed to get it on her hands and avoided her clothes entirely!
When we got home, I put the princess down for a nap, and got to work. I traced the chair seat onto the fabric with a black marker. I carefully cut the tracing with a sharp pair of scissors. I then applied Mod Podge, using a medium-sized paint brush to the seat. I spread the fabric out over the seat stretching and smoothing out any creases with my hands. Once dry, I applied another coat of Mod Podge over the top of the fabric. While this dried, I used a white latex primer to paint the chair so that I could apply the acrylic paint onto a good base. I then carefully hand painted the chair and used several coats until I achieved my desired result.
I sat the chair in front of a fan to dry and waited. Once the paint was dry, I could apply the Mod Podge. I allowed it to dry between coats. This chair needed about three coats over the entire piece to seal it. I am hoping my sister likes the result! I had seen the color dipped legs online, on other crafted chairs and I love this design! I decided to incorporate it into this chair. Now she has a stylish place to sit and read or put on a favorite pair of shoes, and it perfectly matches her bedroom decor!
$2.50 chair Before and after:
Pillow Case for decoupage
Mod Podge Matte Finish
Scissors/Fine Tipped Marker
Pink and Brown Acrylic Paint
Paint brushes various sizes