In this little table, I saw much hidden potential. I can’t remember how I came across it. I found it up in our attic. It was the perfect little project. I brought it down, and it sat in my bedroom, waiting it’s turn to be upcycled. Tonight seemed like the perfect night! While the little toddler apprentice slept, I gathered all my materials together. (Including my mess of a table cloth strewn with paint and Mod Podge of projects past.)
First I tightened the table and cleaned it removing any dust or dirt. Once dry, I primed the areas I planned to paint with a latex primer. I put aside the table to dry. I took the scrapbook paper and cut it into the various sizes, In this case the drawer could not be removed. I could remove the knob, so I pressed the paper up against the outside of the drawer creating a crease in the paper where it would need to be cut. Once the paper was cut I glued it down to the surfaces I wanted to decoupage. I then painted the remaining areas black with black acrylic paint. Once the entire piece was completely dry, I covered the entire piece with Mod Podge Matte finish. I used a medium sized paint brush for the larger areas and a smaller brush for the smaller areas. Once dry, I applied two coats to the smaller painted areas and four coats to the decoupaged areas. The result is what you see here:
Little tip: I had a few air bubbles appear on the table surface. I used a sewing needle, poking a tiny hole in the air bubble. I smoothed it out and then applied more Mod Podge over top of it. Definitely helped!
Before and after: